Salary: $98,846 – 148,269
Job classification: Full-time, exempt
Start date: April 1, 2022
Location: This position is based in Washington, DC.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications is responsible for managing APIA Scholars external communications, collateral materials, website, social media, event planning, and assist with some aspects of fundraising. This position is based in Washington, DC. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This is a full-time exempt position working out of APIA Scholars’ office in Washington, D.C. APIA Scholars’ staff is working mainly remote with one day in the DC office per week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
External Communications & Community Relations
- Leads strategy, vision, direction, and reporting for the Marketing and Communications department. Liaises with Strategic Leadership Team (SLT).
- Develop and execute APIA Scholars communications plan to donors, general public, community partners, and other constituents.
- Build relationships with strategic partners in the APIA and higher education communities.
- Develop, update, and maintain APIA Scholars collateral materials in coordination with vendors, APIA Scholars staff, and students.
- Maintain timely updates of website, coordinating across the organization with web and IT vendors.
- Lead effort to improve website’s utility and design for all stakeholders, including scholars, donors, board, and general public.
- Organize presentation materials for board meetings three times per year.
- Develop and implement effective media strategies to communicate APIA Scholars mission and news to audiences at regional and national levels.
- Draft media materials including but not limited to press releases, newsletter, email to partners, draft speaking remarks, and pitch new stories to media outlets.
- Manage new and existing media relationships including acquiring partnerships with celebrities and influencers.
- Coordinate press events, roundtables, and meetings.
- Coordinate with external audiences (donors, partner organizations) on APIA Scholars participation in events and campaigns. Some travel may be required.
- Work closely with scholarship team on outreach to prospective student applicants, parents, schools, counselors, etc.
- Plan customized donor events, such as receptions with scholars and donors.
- Organize presentation materials for board meetings three times per year.
- Serve as lead staff person to plan the annual event(s). Liaise with event planning consultants; manage event committee agenda, calls, minutes, reports; manage invitation and journal, including drafting, pagination and ads; prepare event news release; create media outreach plan; contract and liaise with various vendors (i.e. graphic designer, printer, etc).
Liaison to Development Department
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Development to oversee the conceptualization, planning, implementation and follow-up of fundraising-related events that include but are not limited to APIA Scholars 20th Anniversary events, Higher Education Summit, and community receptions.
- Manage the development of fundraising-related collateral and electronic communications to raise awareness about program areas in need of support.
- Train and supervise Senior Manager and Associate(s). Motivate and encourage growth, competence, and professional development.
- Assist the Strategic Leadership Team (SLT) with organizational strategic initiatives.
- Work closely with Senior Director of Operations on account management to reconcile funding, track accounts, and submit reports.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred.
- Candidate must have 10+ years of marketing and communications experience with progressive leadership experience.
- Non-profit, higher education, or NGO experience preferred, but not required.
- Candidate must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills and be knowledgeable about diverse communities and issues in higher education.
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment, balancing multiple demands and responsibilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, strategic thinking, and creativity skills.
- Ability to work seamlessly across the organization and communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
How to apply
- Please submit cover letter and résumé to Michelle Cohenour, Chief of Staff, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “VP MARCOMM” in the subject line.
- Position is available immediately. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis with a priority review date of March 11, 2022.
- Please provide contact information for three professional references.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits are offered for this full-time position located in Washington, DC.
- Candidates chosen for an interview will be asked to present during the interview process and bring a portfolio demonstrating strong writing and editing skills, creative publications, and knowledge of marketing and events management.
What We Offer
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. APIA Scholars provides a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental and vision benefits, 25 days paid vacation/PTO, paid holidays, and a retirement matching plan. We offer a supportive, collaborative, and hybrid work setting, a beautiful new office space, and a driven, passionate, and fun team working alongside you!
At APIA Scholars we believe together we can make an impact. Diversity and inclusion powers that impact. We strive to create a sense of belonging by embracing our differences. We are an organization where everyone is valued, heard, and appreciated. APIA Scholars encourages applicants from historically marginalized populations to consider our team as your next opportunity for change. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and advancement regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, or Veteran status.
About APIA Scholars
What was founded in 2003 as a scholarship fund has transformed over the past two decades into a leading national organization serving the unique needs of Asian and Pacific Islander (APIA) students through holistic college to career programming, research, and higher education convenings. As we enter our 20th Anniversary year in 2023, our focus on Scholars – and their authentic leadership development – remains at the core of our mission and vision. However, we know that our best efforts to uplift future APIA students will only be realized if we, as a national APIA voice for higher education equity, leverage our resources, partnerships, and networks to also address the systems that continue to preclude APIAs from success on their journey.
APIA Scholars’ mission is supported through five core strategies: college access, student success, career development, building knowledge, and scaling systems. Through this approach we promote APIA inclusion, equity, and representation on the individual, institutional, and societal level. With a growing Alumni community of 7,500+ Scholars, over 160 eligible Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions (AANAPISI) serving over 40% of all APIA undergraduate students, and the fastest growing racial or ethnic group in the country of 25 million and growing, APIA Scholars is positioned to educate, elevate, and empower a diverse community that reflects the country’s increasingly diverse future.