ABOUT THE APIA SCHOLARS EMERGENCY FUND
The APIA Scholars Emergency Fund, a need-based financial assistance opportunity, is available to current and former APIA Scholarship and AANAPISI Scholarship recipients who are experiencing a temporary, unexpected financial hardship that puts students at risk of being unable to persist in their educational pursuits or graduate from college.
The APIA Scholars Emergency Fund is currently made possible through generous support from McDonald’s, Macy’s and Bank of Hope.
The application is open at different times, throughout the year, and submitted applications are reviewed on an on-going basis.
APIA SCHOLARS EMERGENCY FUND ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Be a current or former APIA Scholarship or AANAPISI Scholarship recipient.
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate student at an U.S. accredited college or university.
- Must have a demonstrated financial crisis that is
- Temporary (not on-going)
- If not dealt with immediately can have a severe impact on a student’s ability to continue in their undergraduate academic progress
- If not actively happening at the time of the application, must have occurred within the past 4 weeks before application, and the financial burden caused by this crisis must still be impacting the applicant
A demonstrated financial crisis could result from (but not limited to):
Change in family income or support | Loss of income
Death of an immediate family member | Natural disaster | Pending eviction or home foreclosure
Burglary | Fire | Unexpected serious illness | Injury or accident
Applicants may request up to $2,500 in emergency funds. There is a lifetime cap of $5,000 for recipients.
APIA Scholars is unable to provide any advice regarding potential tax implications. Please consult your tax advisor or accountant.
- Applicant completes an online application through the portal including:
- Uploading verifying document(s) for fund request
- Uploading proof of enrollment at an U.S. accredited college or university. This may be a transcript or enrollment verification document.
Review & Decision:
- APIA Scholars will make every effort to review applications and reach a decision a soon as possible
- If APIA Scholars has further questions, applicant will be contacted to provide more information
- Applicant is notified by email (and in certain cases by phone) of decision
- Applicant logs back into application on portal to complete the Confirmation step.
- Applicant signs and uploads fund agreement (provided via email)
- Applicant answers all questions to confirm funding and how it will be disbursed
- Applicant writes short profile (including a thank you note) for donor reporting purposes
- APIA Scholars will make every effort to have funds issued within 3 business days of applicant’s confirmation and receipt of payment method details.
- Applicant determines how they wish funds to be disbursed – prompt delivery of necessary information to APIA Scholars is required for quick disbursement
- Issuing of funds is not equivalent to receipt of funds and amount of time will vary depending on method of fund disbursement
- Recipients who have received over $1,000 in Emergency Funds are required to submit receipts within 2 weeks of funds being disbursed.
- All fund recipients are required to respond to a follow-up survey that will be sent to them one month after funds are disbursed.
- APIA Scholars may reach out to applicants and fund recipients to discuss potential other resources that may be available to them in their communities and campuses.