APIA SCHOLARS PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
- Elevating Leaders Summit
- The APIA Scholars Elevating Leaders Summit (ELS) is the first program in our suite of holistic college-to-career programs in which we welcome and celebrate our newest Scholar cohorts to the APIA Scholars community. Over the course of 3 days, first year, second year, and transfer students participate in a virtual conference experience where they discuss topics related to intersectionality and cultivating authentic leadership skills, the power of storytelling and APIA representation, and the importance of centering mental health and wellness. APIA Scholars also have the opportunity to connect with peers in small group discussions led by an alumni facilitator to reflect on interactive workshops presented by community leaders and professionals.
- Industry Expert Series
- The APIA Scholars Industry Experts Series (IES) is a sequence of interactive virtual sessions designed to expose Scholars to experiences of APIA industry leaders and possible career pathways. Each session features one professional industry or company and is an opportunity to learn about the journey to securing a job, how to gain internship opportunities, and the APIA perspective within the field. Both industry professionals and scholar panelists come together to share expert tips, advice, and resources to navigate different professional environments. This program empowers Scholars with the tools needed to propel them towards their professional goals.
- Mental Health Initiative
- The APIA Scholars Mental Health Initiative utilizes a 3-pronged approach to address mental health needs in our Scholar community. First, we’re building awareness around the impacts of mental health challenges within the APIA community in an effort to eliminate stigma and encourage dialogue. Second, we’re partnering with community leaders and experts to host virtual sessions where we dive deeper into nuanced mental health discussions and participate in wellness practices together. Third, our META Teletherapy app provides Scholars with access to a mental health provider in the palm of their hand. Through this multi-layered approach, we hope to more holistically address the diverse issues that can impact APIA mental health.
- Peer Mentorship Program
- The APIA Scholars Peer Mentorship program matches 1st & 2nd year APIA Scholars with fellow Scholars and Alumni who are in their 3rd year of college and above. The program aims to facilitate mentor/mentee matches that cultivate a supportive relationship as new Scholars transition into college life. Beginning the first year of college comes with many challenges. Mentors can provide Scholars with strategies, resources, and guidance needed to find community, manage the different moving pieces of student life, and ultimately thrive on their academic journeys. Virtual mentorship is facilitated in partnership with Mentor Collective.
- Professional Mentorship Program
- The APIA Scholars Professional Mentorship program facilitates virtual mentorships with APIA Scholars and industry professionals. Professional mentors provide individualized support and guidance to mentees on how to access and advance their desired careers. Professional Mentors have at least 5 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s degree, while mentees can be scholars/alumni in their 2nd-5th year of undergrad, graduate students, or young professionals seeking more guidance. This program allows for meaningful connection and skill development to empower the next generation of APIA leaders. Virtual mentorship is facilitated in partnership with Mentor Collective.
GATES MILLENNIUM SCHOLARS PROGRAM: PROGRAMS & SERVICES
The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program offers various programs and services that facilitate the academic success, graduate school acceptance, and leadership and professional development of GMS scholars. See below to learn more about what’s currently available to Gates Millennium Scholars and Alumni.
- GMS Academic Empowerment Services (ACE)
The GMS ACE staff provides academic support for scholars and alumni. ACE advisors offer guidance on topics such as graduate school, academic resources, internships, professional development and much more. Advisors aim to support the holistic development of scholars and alumni.
On this webinar, a panel of scholars discussed their experiences serving in AmeriCorps, Teach for America, and Peace Corps. They explained how their service experiences impacted their graduate school education.
- GRAD TALKS
The GMS-APIA Scholars staff conducted webinars pertaining to each of the GMS graduate funded fields: Education, Public Health, Computer Science, Engineering, Library Science, Science, and Math. For each webinar, graduate scholars and alumni as well as graduate admissions representatives for each funded field shared their insights and answered questions about graduate school admissions and potential career paths.
Recordings of each webinar are available here:
- GMS Leadership Development Programs (LDP)
The GMS LDP staff offers various conferences that facilitate leadership, knowledge and development of GMS scholars and alumni. These include opportunities to attend the National Conference on Race and Education (NCORE), American Library Association (ALA) conference, American Public Health Association (APHA) conference, and Institute for Teaching and Mentoring (ITM). Applications for each program are available in the months prior to the conference.
- GMS Campus Engagement Managers (CEM)
The GMS Campus Engagement Managers (CEM) initiative was established in 2011 to provide additional Academic Empowerment & Leadership Development support to current Gates scholars and alumni. The CEMs collaborate with administrators and higher education institutions for the retention and leadership development of scholars and to provide additional advising, support and resources. CEMs also work with institutions to develop summer and graduate opportunities and resources such as assistantships, internships, and fellowships. Please contact GMS@apiascholars.org for information on how to contact the Campus Engagement Manager in your region.
For more information, please contact GMS@apiascholars.org on any of these programs and services.