APIA Scholars’ vision is to create opportunities for all Asian and Pacific Islander Americans to have access to higher education and resources. If you’re interested in helping to bring that vision to life, take a look at our open positions and we look forward to connecting further.
APIA Scholars is searching for an experienced Senior Vice President to join our senior management team. This role will report to the President and will be the formal deputy to the president, representing her and the organization internally and externally. He/she will assist the president in high level organizational strategy, goal setting, and internal issues when needed. The SVP will oversee all multi-year grants, and supervise the Scholarships and Research Departments, including leading goal setting, developing and prospecting new opportunities, monitoring and evaluating departmental performance, and assessing success. He/she will also build and develop internal systems to ensure efficiencies, streamline workflows, and promote high productivity in the staff team.
The Senior VP will research and pursue opportunities to advance the mission of APIA Scholars, including, but not limited to multi-year funding opportunities related to research, scholarships, and student success initiatives. And he/she will maintain a high-level awareness of the internal and external competitive landscape, as well as trends and changes to the higher education success landscape, including any opportunities the organization may leverage and/or pursue.
He/she will manage the Vice Presidents and/or Directors in the Departments they supervise, and, in collaboration with the president, routinely evaluate the success of the organization
A successful candidate will thrive working in an autonomous environment, where they lead with creativity, excitement, and passion for their work. They will have a demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion and will keep APIA Scholars’ mission at the forefront of their decision making and work they do at APIA Scholars. They will be “idea generators” and lead with their teams with energy and enthusiasm. He/she will value collaboration, be solutions oriented, an innovator, an excellent communicator, and be both empathetic and pragmatic.
- Assist President in high level strategy and decision making, including an active involvement in the impending strategic planning process
- Take an active role with the Board of Directors
- Oversee current multi-year grant initiatives and develop new ones
- Supervise Scholarships Department
- Supervise Research Department
- Set performance and financial goals and attain them through team direction and management
- Assess, evaluate, and report on overall team and individual team member performance
- Prepare and allocate budgets
- Research and identify new opportunities
- Seek new business tools and methods
- Collaborate with Senior Leadership Team to determine business strategies
- Evaluate department’s profits and revenue, and calculate risks
- Ensure compliance with company policies and local, regional and federal regulations
- Build and approve the department’s hiring plan
- Education: PhD required
- Experience: 8-10 years of progressive experience in non-profit management, in the fields of equity, education, social justice, and/or economic development
- Demonstrable ability and proven track record in strategy-building and implementation
- Superior communication skills, including editing and public speaking
- Strong research skills including experience in mixed-method approaches, assessment, and analysis.
- Original research published in a peer-reviewed journal
- Senior management experience
- Strong and demonstrated strategic and analytical skills
- Strong experience in project development, management, and budgeting
- Experience working with national funders on multi-year student success initiatives
Please submit a cover letter outlining qualifications and a resume with three professional references to Elena Anderson, COO, APIA Scholars, 1850 M Street, NW, Suite 245, Washington, DC 20036, firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will continue until position is filled. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.